Thursday, September 12, 2013

Throw Back Thursday: Recruiting Compton





At the end of February I was able to go to the great land of California on a recruiting trip!  Getting ready for the trip was quite a learning experience.  I was in charge of setting up all of my visits, events, plane ticket, hotel, car, the works!  At a staff meeting I was reporting on what colleges I had lined up visits, one of them was Compton Community College.  (For anyone is as naive as me, Compton sounds like any other respectable college name.  But for everyone else, it reminds them of some lovely rappers called Tupac and The Game and lyrics such a "I'm from Compton where the wrong color be cautious" and some other lyrics that I just looked up and will now need to wash my eyes.) So it goes with out saying, as I left for trip, my colleagues were a little worried about how this bushy tailed, 22 year old recruiter would do.

The trip was so much fun, and the other recruiters I went with were incredible.  The recruiter that tag teamed with me had so much knowledge and spunk, there was never a dull moment.  Our most memorable experience was at Benihannas, where Lisa and I sat by two fascinating families.  They told us great stories about getting in fights, how they punched so and so, and getting the police called on them as they were in line for the Dumbo ride.  One of the families was from Inglewood and the other was from Compton. (I was so excited to meet people from this city I had heard so much about!) The son from Compton excused himself  a couple times to take care of his business, it looked like he was selling bags of sugar, and we were able to get to know those sitting with us really well, I mean really well.

As we started to leave, the son from Compton (the one with the sugar business) chases after us.  He gives us a note and asks if we are going clubbing tonight and if he could show us around his city.  As much as we wanted to, we already had plans to pick up a Pink Berry and watch the Bachelor.  He was persistent and kept walking with us as we kept turning him down.  Finally he gave up but us Utah girls were a little flustered and hadn't noticed that we had walked past our car.  When we turned around to go to our car, we found our friend lingering near by.  To avoid giving this entrepreneur false hope and avoid another run in, we decided to walk home. Below is the note he gave us, points for style!
It made me feel so mature to be going on a "work trip". I loved every second of it and the best part was I was able to tell people all week long how incredible UTAH STATE was!
Santa Monica Pier with Lisa
The Melting Pot
The Karaoke bar we almost went to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment